Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Hurry, hurry!

OK, I'll admit it. I got a speeding ticket last Saturday. I thought I had time to bring Chase home from Micah's basketball game, feed him lunch and get him to baseball practice in plenty of time. I was so wrong.

On the way to baseball practice, a lady pulled out in front of me on Main Street and since she was going slow and I was in a hurry, I thought I could speed up and get around her. Bad idea. Mr. Policeman was coming from the other direction and when he passed us, I glanced in my rearview mirror and, yup, he did a u-ey. He pulled over the other car AND me (I guess she wasn't going so slow, after all).

Sitting in the parking lot of a local restaurant, I hand over my driver's license and proof of insurance. Mr. Policeman asks where I'm going in such a hurry. It sure does sound silly to admit that I'm running late for my son's baseball practice. Mr. Policeman asks if my son is in the car with me. Yes, he is, I answer. Mr. Policeman sticks his head in the driver's side window to peer into the back seat. There sits Chase, grossly absorbed into his Nintendo DS. That child did not even glance up! Mr. Policeman heads back to his cruiser to write up my ticket. Yippee.

About 6 or 7 minutes pass, and Chase looks up to see that, for some reason, we are sitting in a restaurant parking lot. He also notices that it is 2:58 and baseball practice, he knows, is supposed to start at 3:00. "Mommy! We have to be at baseball at 3:00" he says. "Well, we're not going to make it" I reply. "What are we waiting for?" Chase asks. "Oh, we're justing waiting for Mommy to get her speeding ticket" was my answer. "Oh. Okay." Chase responds.

I declare - you could practically jump up and down on that boy and if he is playing his Nintendo DS, I don't think he'd notice.

Oh well. At least it wasn't Micah with me. I don't think I could have handled all the preaching I would have gotten from the backseat.

1 comment:

Pastor Tom said...

You would make a great sermon illustration on trasparency. Posting you sins for the world to see. But don't worry I wouldn't subject to any more shame than you have subjected yourself too. Just glad I am not the only one who gets tickets.