Monday, April 6, 2009

Smoky Mountain memories


We have just returned from a trip to the Smoky Mountains. It's beautiful. Bobbie planned our trip, mostly I think so she could show her grandsons where she was born and from where her people come. The boys loved it, but I must say we grown-ups enjoyed ourselves as well. At least after our muscles stopped screaming at us.

The first full day, Thursday, we planned to bike around the scenic trail at Cades Cove. It is an 11 mile loop. The first question Paul asked was, "Is it hilly?" The answer he received (from both Bobbie and Kelli) was that it is mostly flat with some hills at the back of the loop. So 11 miles didn't seem too bad. Here might be a good time to mention that Bobbie and Kelli had both driven the loop. In cars. I suppose one can't truly judge the grade too well when one is seated comfortably in their vehicle. I guess I'll just admit it - we walked our bikes up quite a few hills. After about 6 miles or so, we came to the visitor's center and Grist Mill. It was a good place to rest a while, look around and let the boys play at the creek. So when we had all gotten off of our bikes and George got the chance to look over the map he noted (aloud), "It's all uphill from here." You could almost hear the morale deflating from our bunch - with a big, giant "whoooosh." Since I'm admitting things I'll just tell the truth. We sent Paul on ahead on his bike so he could come rescue the rest of us in the Suburban.

While waiting for Paul, Bobbie and I thought we could make it a bit further with the boys, and we attempted just that. Since I was the leader of our crew, it was a bit stop and go. Not only to let the cars pass us, but also because I imagined everything that looked black was most likely a bear. (So Micah get's his wariness from me, ok?)

Speaking of, I'm surprised at all that we even got Micah out there on that bike ride. On the car ride to Tennessee, Micah had a LOT of questions about bears. He convinced himself that bears eat human flesh. I sort of figured he'd want to hang around inside the cabin the whole vacation.

On Friday, we spent the day at Dollywood. That was surprisingly nice. The cleanliness and friendliness sort of put Kings Island to shame.

Saturday we really packed a lot in. We started the morning with a tour of the Forbidden Caverns. These caves wind around under a mountain to a depth of 600 feet below ground level. We learned a lot about caves, bats and moonshine. Chase got to be at the beginning of the group, due to his asthma. So when the tour guide pointed out the little bats (the size of a McDonald's chicken nugget), Chase told her, "I don't believe I know the name of those bats." His class just did a study on bats.

After our tour, we stopped by a trout farm so the boys could fish for our lunch. They each caught a 1 - 1.5 pound trout, so we had plenty of food. Though the boys, themselves, preferred a cheeseburger. None of us had to catch a cow, thankfully.

To finish the day, the boys were able to race at the NASCAR Speedpark. To hear the boys tell it, it was great fun. I, personally, wouldn't know. Bobbie and I used our time wisely (we shopped).

While we were at the cabin, the boys (Micah and Chase with their cousin, Alex) climbed up and down the mountain. They placed a flag at the top. They hunted bears. They searched for mummies and ghosts. As Chase said, they were "always up for an adventure."

While they found no bears (for which I'm grateful), nor any ghosts or mummies, adventure was definitely achieved.

1 comment:

GrandB said...

Great story LeeAnn. I enjoyed it very much. Sounds like we all had fun.