Saturday, December 13, 2008

Is Santa real? (and other tough questions)

"Is Santa real?" Chase asked me, this year.

So sad. Last year he would never have put up with such a silly question from anyone else. It was not debatable. It was blasphemous to even put forth the question. I remember asking the question. I was eight. There were 3rd grade lunchtime debates - with sides, even. I was on the yes side. Until I just had to ask. "No," Mom answered honestly, and - might I say - a tad too bluntly (thanks, Mom, I still have the scar).

So the question is put forth to me. Oh here come the sweaty palms. How to answer? What to say?

"What do you think?" Even I think that was a cowardly answer and it was mine. Sheesh, who made me Mom?

"Well then, where was Santa born? And where are his parents?"

Micah chimes in, "And did God's mom name him God?"

Oh my word. Where is Paul? Why isn't he ever around when the barrage of questions come? He wasn't home when I had to explain what a** meant, either. But that is a whole other story.

No comments: