Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Why is the Christmas tree beeping?

The boys' school puts on a Secret Santa shop every year, where the kids can shop for their loved ones without parental assistance. Last year Micah got me a "diamond" necklace (that looks surprisingly real for something that could not have cost more than $5 - $10) and Chase bought some nice fruity lotions. Quite nice.

This year Chase asked me to help him with his wrapping (except my present - which is hidden in his room. Hopefully Paul will lend a hand). So I was blessed to get a glimpse of the presents that Chase chose. Paul will get a tape measure (no doubt to discourage the frequent use of Chase's). Micah will get a pretty cool digital clock. I complimented Chase on his purchases, helped him wrap them up and watched as he placed them under the tree.

That night I put the boys in bed, tucked them in tightly and as I was making my way down the steps an unfamiliar alarm began to go off. I searched the house for the sound. The boys (way to curious to sleep) got up to help me search. The noise seemed to get louder as we got closer to the tree and then I realized, as did Chase, what was going on. Chase and I exchanged glances as Micah asked, repeatedly, "what is it? What is it, Mommy? What?"

"Uh, nothing, Micah. . . OK! Let's all get in bed and go to sleep now!"

Needless to say, Micah has an inkling of an idea what his Christmas present from Chase is. Chase is none too happy about it either. Yet, he won't allow me to help him unwrap, de-battery, and rewrap. So every night, at about 9:00, the Christmas tree rings for about 5 minutes.

"All right everyone! The Christmas tree is going off! Time for bed."

No comments: