Saturday, December 13, 2008

Thinking back



Paul and I built our home and moved in March 2006. The following August, Chase started Kindergarten. During that sweet year, Chase's lovely teacher taught a series on spiders.

One morning before school as the boys were upstairs getting dressed and I was fixing breakfast, Micah yelled, "Mommy! Come quick! There's a spider in my room!"

"Well, step on it." I answered. (Normally I would not condone such brutish behavior, but I was mid-breakfast after all. If you are a spider enthusiast, I beg your forgiveness).

"I can't." Micah answered. "It's too big."

Hmmm. This doesn't sound good, I thought, but before I could respond Chase said, "That's ok, Mommy, I'll look at it." (Oh, good, our very own entomologist).

A few seconds later, after taking a good look at it, Chase announces from upstairs: "Don't worry, Mommy. It's only a wolf spider."

Hmmm, again. Never heard of it. I finished up what I was doing in the kitchen and trekked upstairs to see what exactly a wolf spider looked like. Too late. It had moved along, and the boys weren't sure where.

After I took them to school, I decided to google 'wolf spider'. Well, that was a big mistake. (see attached photo). I really hope Chase was wrong on his assessment.

No comments: