Thursday, December 4, 2008

Sick of being sick

I am now officially the last one in my household to avoid Strep throat since Micah was diagnosed with it today. It was especially fun when Paul woke up with it the morning we were to leave for New York (he went anyway, trooper that he is - which could be why Micah has it now . . .).

Anyway I took Micah to the doctor today. She commented that it was odd that there were 2 whole weeks between Chase's infection and Micah's. That's when I told her that Paul had it last week, while in NYC. The conversation that followed went something like this:

Dr. - "Oooh, you went to NYC? How fun! Did you see the parade?"
Me - "Yes, we were there. We were among the 3 million!"
Dr. - "You know, I have another patient who is from NYC and they still have friends there that live in an apartment on the parade route. So they can watch the parade from their home."
Me - "That would be nice. I read that a one bedroom or studio apartment in New York runs about $4800 a month. Can you imagine how much it would be to live in an apartment big enough for a family?"
Dr. - "It's crazy. I guess that's why they have rent-control where a family passes their apartment down generation to generation."
Me - "It'd be the only way to afford it, I guess. Our Thanksgiving dinner for a family of 4 was about $200."
Dr. - "Wow, that is unbelievable."
Micah (sitting alone on the examination table) - "Uh, I think we got off the subject here."

No comments: