Monday, January 12, 2009

Ain't it great? Chase is eight!


Chase celebrated his 8th birthday today! (I'll try not to get on my "how did this happen? where is my baby?" tangent.)


Before my story of his birthday begins, I just have to tell this other, shorter story because it's so darn cute. Bobbie and George took him out for his special time Saturday and let him pick out his birthday present. He chose a LEGO set that was more than they planned to pay. Bobbie tried to talk him into other toys, but Chase apparently begged and pleaded for this particular LEGO set. So, being grandparents, they bought it for him. Bobbie told me that while standing in line Chase said, "I just can't believe I am actually holding this in my hands!"


See? Isn't he just the cutest little thing?


Anyway, I tucked him in tight Sunday night. Gave him hugs and kisses. I said for him to give me my last 7-year-old kiss ever and then said goodnight. No sooner than I had come downstairs to brush my teeth, Chase was by my side.


"Oh, yeah, Mommy, when you go out to get my birthday present tonight - remember I want a LEGO Agent set, Mission 8. Try to find that, ok?" (Clearly Chase believes that I am a last minute shopper. Everything was not only bought, but wrapped up and ready to go. And the gifts did NOT include that particular LEGO set.)


I hugged him again and sent him up to his room.


After I washed my face and got my pj's on, Chase was back in my room. "Another thing, Mommy. I need a new mattress. I really want a Tempur-Pedic, ok?"


"You want a mattress for your birthday?" I ask in disbelief. I wonder if there are any other 8 year olds on the entire planet that would ask for a Tempur-Pedic for his birthday.


"Yeah. You know, along with a few toys." He responds.


I hug him, kiss him and send him to his room - again.


The third time he comes into my room Paul tells him that we'll start taking away one present for each time he comes into our room. So he decided it might be best to try to get some shut-eye.


At approximately 3:30 a.m., Chase comes into my room. He wants to know when would be a good time to open presents. When I suggest 7 a.m., he is appalled. "THAT LONG?!?"


I help him back to his bed, fearful that Paul may hold true to his word.


Seven o'clock came way too early, but I dragged myself out of bed, grabbed my camera and headed to the kitchen to watch the present-opening. Chase's brand new, shiny bike was sitting there with a bow on top. I couldn't wait to hear what he would say.


"Oh, I wondered what kind of bike you got me" was not the response I was expecting.


"How did you know we got you a bike?"


"Micah told me."


We would never entrust Micah with secrets. He apparently went on a search mission through the night. And then blabbed. Which is why we don't trust him with secrets.


Oh well, you can't go wrong with a DS game. And fortunately he got that, too.

No comments: