Monday, January 26, 2009

What happened last week

It's been a while since I've posted a new blog. Either things are currently really boring or really busy, I haven't decided which. As it is, I have no one-good story to tell this time. Just a few updates.

Micah's quest to be more responsible has been, well, frustrating. Last Thursday it was warm - at least in the 40s - and I decided to take the boys to the park after school. They were allowed to bring their scooters since I was walking Dahlia on the trail. When we got to the park, Micah had his scooter but not his helmet and therefore was not able to ride. Needless to say, he made the trip to the park almost unbearable! How much enjoyment can one get from a walk when one has to listen to stomping and whining, anyway? Sadly, the afternoon got worse.

When we got home the boys were to do their homework while I fixed dinner. Micah looked through his bookbag and was horrified to find that he had forgotten to bring home his homework. His first reaction was to blame the substitute for not reminding him to pack it up at the end of the day. And while he makes a good point that a disruption of normalcy can make one forget things, let's face it - this sort of thing happens all too often with Micah. Unfortunately this was the 3rd time this month he'd not had his homework to turn in for some reason or another and that means he will not participate in the school's "Bulldog Club." The Bulldog Club is a special time for kids who 1) behave, and 2) do their homework. And if they stay in it all year, the kids earn a T-shirt at the end of the year. Micah has NEVER missed out on a Bulldog Club and is devastated (and I mean devastated - really, tears and all) that he will miss out on it this month. I, too, am heartbroken for him. I sure hope he starts getting the hang of this responsibility thing soon!

On another note, Chase's Sunday School teacher (Mrs. Sue) called us tonight. What a delightful woman - really! She wanted to remind Chase to read his Bible this evening. He was in the bathroom and couldn't talk, so I told her I'd pass the message along. Mrs. Sue said that before she called us she called Katie, another of her students. Katie asked, "Have you talked to Chase, yet?" Mrs. Sue responded that no, she hadn't gotten to Chase yet. He was further down the list. Katie said, "Be sure to tell him that I miss him, when you do talk to him." (I know it's mean, but I just HAD to tell Chase that. How can you pass up an opportunity like that?) Chase slapped his hand to his forehead and said, "Aaargh! I HATE it when she says things like that!" (tee-hee! Ah, Chase - the chick magnet).

I'll end with this last bit - because it just epitomizes the typical male, in my opinion. Saturday night I visited with friends and made an Italian sausage lasagna to take with me. I thought it'd be just as easy to double the recipe so I could have an extra to serve on Sunday after church - especially since we'd be having one of Micah's friends over. I put one in the oven and the other in the refrigerator. Paul came home while the one was baking and commented on how good it smelled and how unfair it was that I was taking it to other people. I told him he was in luck, that there was an extra one and we'd eat it on Sunday. When I got home that night he asked me how my friends enjoyed the lasagna. I said everyone like it and that he would, too. Paul answered that he had already eaten a piece and served it up to the kids for dinner as well. I didn't quite know what to say. "Paul. I hadn't COOKED that lasagna yet. Remember? I told you we'd have it on Sunday." He said he thought it seemed a little crunchy and crumbly.

Men!

No comments: